If you’re like me and you love pesto but have a hard time finding one at the grocery store that isn’t loaded with cheese or dairy by products then the only way to go is to make your own. This recipe is quick, easy and uses minimal ingredients. Obviously the main ingredient is basil which I used garden fresh green and purple basil, get whatever is available to you and I promise it will be the best pesto you’ve ever had. You can add pesto to so many dishes. Pasta, spaghetti squash, breakfast dishes, toast and so much more!
Basil is considered one of the healthiest foods and is so versatile in so many ways. Not only can it be used as an anti inflammatory, anti bacterial agent but it is also great for cooking, you skin and your mind and body.
“Holy basil has antianxiety effects, explains botanist James Duke, PhD, author of The Green Pharmacy. It contains phytochemicals that studies suggest may lower cortisol, a hormone secreted when you’re tense.”
So when you’re adding basil to your recipes it will go beyond just smelling and tasting amazing but it will also help to relieve some everyday stressors.
Easy Walnut Basil Pesto
Prep Time: 10 mins
Cook Time: 0 mins
Total Time: 10 mins
2 cups of fresh basil (pack down basil leaves)
1/4 cup of walnuts
2-3 garlic cloves peeled
1 teaspoon of lemon juice
1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons of olive oil
2 tablespoons of nutritional yeast
Sea salt and pepper to taste
- Add to the food processor, basil walnuts, ¼ cup olive oil, garlic and lemon juice.
- Blend until smooth, adding the final 2 Tbsp. olive oil throughout the blending.
- Taste then add salt and pepper to taste.
- Add the nutritional yeast to the mixed pesto.
- To keep pesto from browning, pour enough olive oil into the jar to completely cover the surface of the pesto.
- Store pesto up to two weeks or store in the freezer.
Serving size: 2 tablespoons
Calories: 93 Calories
Fat: 10 Grams
Carbohydrates: 1 Gram
Fibre: 0 Grams
Protein: 0 grams
Hope you enjoy!