One of my favourite meals of the day is…. you guessed it, breakfast! I usually have my breakfast/brunch around 11 or 12 so that I can eat more throughout the day and stick to a fasting schedule. The first meal of the day is important as it fuels the mind and body after an overnight fast. Apart from providing us with energy our first meal of the day foods are good sources of important nutrients such as calcium, iron and B vitamins as well as protein and fibre. The first meal supports cognitive function, energy needs and long term health!
For my first meal of the day I like to keep it low in carbohydrates and high in protein. The tofu scramble is a great source of protein, low calories, low carbohydrates. Tofu is high in amino acids, iron, calcium and micro nutrients. When buying tofu opt for the organic version to get the most nutrients from your breakfast. Tofu has many health benefits and contains many nutrients.
Try and find options like the one above from your grocery store to get the most health benefits. Try and find a firm or medium firm tofu for this specific recipe. You can adjust the ingredients depending on your personal preference!
Prep Time: 15 Mins
Cook Time: 10 Mins
Total Time: 25 Mins
1/4 block of firm tofu
Pinch of salt & pepper
1/2 teaspoon of paprika
1/2 teaspoon of turmeric
1/2 teaspoon of garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon of onion powder
1 tablespoon of nutritional yeast
1/2 an avocado (optional)
Cherry tomatoes (optional)
- Place skillet on medium heat, spray pan with cooking spray or use 1 teaspoon of coconut oil.
- Once pan is heated place onions in pan and cook until translucent and brown.
- Once onions have been cooked place mushrooms in pan, add a pinch of salt and pepper.
- While mushrooms and onions are cooking, mash tofu in a bowl with a potato masher. (This will give the tofu the consistency of eggs)
- Once the tofu has been mashed put the tofu into the skillet with the mushrooms and onions.
- Chop the fresh dill and place that into the skillet.
- Add all the spices into the skillet and mix.
- Cook mixture for 5-10 minutes until flavours have mixed.
- Place cherry tomatoes and avocado on the side for extra deliciousness.
Change up the recipe to add in your favourite vegetables, extra spices or sauces and customize this breakfast recipe for a high protein, high energy meal. I added yves veggie bologne in my recipe for extra protein as well as franks red hot sauce for some extra flavour! Also side note if you haven’t tried it already you need to go out and get the silk coconut coffee creamer because it brings your coffee game to the next level!
Hope you enjoy!